Freelance editor—certified copy editor and proofreaderI am a full-time freelance editor with ten years’ experience. I edit a variety of materials, including scientific, technical, and medical writing, as well as fiction (especially science fiction). I am a certified copy editor and proofreader with Editors Canada.
- Proofreading, copy editing, stylistic and substantive editing, manuscript evaluation
- Technical editing: editing scientific and academic material, specializing in science, medical writing, and information technology
- Styles and style guides: Canadian, American, and UK spelling and punctuation. I am familiar with the Chicago Manual of Style (17th ed.), Associated Press Stylebook, Editing Canadian English, and can follow other styles on request.
- Translation: Dutch to English translation
- Website publishing: creating web pages in HTML, basic CSS, website deployment and maintenance, search engine optimization
Courses and workshops
Poynter News University Poynter ACES Certificate in Editing
Simon Fraser University Writing and Publishing Program selected courses: copy editing, proofreading, grammar, indexingEditors BC professional development seminars
- Copyright for Editors with Ann Carlsen
- Plain Language from Start to Finish with Iva Cheung
- Getting the Message Across: Clear Writing Tips with Frances Peck
- Secrets of Syntax with Frances Peck
- Usage Woes and Myths with Frances Peck
- Introduction to Research Skills with Susan Safyan
- Fact Checking for Editors with Mary Schendlinger
- Advanced Copy Editing with Maureen Nicholson
- Grammar Essentials for Writers and Editors with Barbara Tomlin
- Grammar Boot Camp with Frances Peck
- Ethics for Editors with Mary Schendlinger
- Freelance 101 for Editors with Barbara Adamski
- Editing Fiction with Caroline Adderson
- Picture Research with Mary Rose MacLachlan and Derek Capitaine
- Advanced Proofreading with Ruth Wilson
- Structural + Stylistic = Substantive Editing with Yvonne Van Ruskenveld
- Plain Language with Peter Moskos
- Eight-Step Editing with Jim Taylor
- Writing and Editing for the Web with Lisa Manfield
- Editing Narrative with Mary Schendlinger
- Technical Editing with Jason Hall
- Indexing Basics with Karen Griffiths
- Editing Children’s Fiction with R. David Stephens
Other professional development
- 2SLGBTQ+ Awareness and Inclusive Language with Dr. Reece Malone, DHS, MPH, CSES, CST
- Poynter News University Make Design More Inclusive: Defeat Unconscious Bias in Visuals
- Poynter News University Math and Numeracy Primer: How to Write about Numbers
- Editors Canada Conference 2022, 2016, 2015, 2011
- Medical Terminology at Camosun College
- Tyee master class: Responsible Journalism in 2012: The Changing Legal Landscape for Journalists, with Leo McGrady
- SFU Summer Publishing Workshops 2011 Symposium on the Book: True Accounts
- Canadian Authors Association: Research: The Key to Writing Historical Fiction with Robert W. Mackay and Margo Bates
- The Art of the Sentence with Stephen Osborne
Professional affiliation and contacts
- Member of Editors Canada (2009–present). See my listing in the Online Directory of Editors.
- See my contacts and recommendations on LinkedIn.
Scientific and academic background
Biology (BSc)Ecology, botany, statistics, bioinformatics, biochemistry, genetics, and virology. Bioinformatics programming.
Computer science (MSc)Software engineering and software visualization; software development experience.
PublicationsEva van Emden and Leon Moonen. “Java Quality Assurance by Detecting Code Smells.” In Proceedings of the Ninth Working Conference on Reverse Engineering (IEEE Computer Society Press, 2002) 107–117. Elected Most Influential Paper for WCRE 2012.
- Working languages: English (writing and editing), Dutch (translation from Dutch to English)
- Additional languages: reading knowledge of French, some German
Volunteering and community involvement
- Editors Canada: 2021 Claudette Upton Scholarship judge, certification committee 2021, John Eerkes-Medrano Mentorship Program 2021, foundational testing task force 2019, conference webmaster 2016, conference volunteer 2011
- Editors BC: job hotline coordinator 2015–present; webmaster 2013–2016, 2022; professional development co-chair 2011–2013
- Vancouver Writers Fest volunteer, 2012, 2013
- Kiva microfinance loan funding site, volunteer copy editor, 2009–2013