Freelance editor—certified copy editor and proofreaderI am a full-time freelance editor with more than five years’ experience. I edit a variety of materials, including scientific, technical, and medical writing, as well as fiction (especially science fiction). I am a certified copy editor and proofreader with Editors Canada.
- Proofreading, copy editing, stylistic and substantive editing, manuscript evaluation
- Technical editing: editing scientific and academic material, specializing in science, medical writing, and information technology
- Styles and style guides: Canadian, American, and UK spelling and punctuation. I am familiar with the Chicago Manual of Style (16th ed.), Associated Press Stylebook, Editing Canadian English, and can follow other styles on request.
- Translation: Dutch to English translation
- Website publishing: creating web pages in HTML, basic CSS, website deployment and maintenance, search engine optimization
Courses and certifications
Poynter News University Poynter ACES Certificate in Editing
Simon Fraser University Writing and Publishing Program selected courses: copy editing, proofreading, grammarEditors BC professional development seminars
- Usage Woes and Myths with Frances Peck
- Introduction to Research Skills with Susan Safyan
- Fact Checking for Editors with Mary Schendlinger
- Advanced Copy Editing with Maureen Nicholson
- Grammar Essentials for Writers and Editors with Barbara Tomlin
- Grammar Boot Camp with Frances Peck
- Ethics for Editors with Mary Schendlinger
- Freelance 101 for Editors with Barbara Adamski
- Editing Fiction with Caroline Adderson
- Picture Research with Mary Rose MacLachlan and Derek Capitaine
- Advanced Proofreading with Ruth Wilson
- Structural + Stylistic = Substantive Editing with Yvonne Van Ruskenveld
- Plain Language with Peter Moskos
- Eight-Step Editing with Jim Taylor
- Writing and Editing for the Web with Lisa Manfield
- Editing Narrative with Mary Schendlinger
- Technical Editing with Jason Hall
- Indexing Basics with Karen Griffiths
- Editing Children’s Fiction with R. David Stephens
Other professional development
- Editors Canada Conference 2016
- Editors Canada Conference 2015
- Medical Terminology at Camosun College
- Tyee master class: Responsible Journalism in 2012: The Changing Legal Landscape for Journalists, with Leo McGrady
- Editors Canada Conference 2011
- SFU Summer Publishing Workshops 2011 Symposium on the Book: True Accounts
- Canadian Authors Association: Research: The Key to Writing Historical Fiction with Robert W. Mackay and Margo Bates
- The Art of the Sentence with Stephen Osborne
Professional affiliation and contacts
- Member of Editors Canada (2009–present). See my listing in the Online Directory of Editors.
- See my contacts and recommendations on LinkedIn.
Scientific and academic background
Biology (BSc)Ecology, botany, statistics, bioinformatics, biochemistry, genetics and virology. Bioinformatics programming.
Computer science (MSc)Software engineering and software visualization; software development experience.
PublicationsEva van Emden and Leon Moonen. “Java Quality Assurance by Detecting Code Smells.” In Proceedings of the Ninth Working Conference on Reverse Engineering (IEEE Computer Society Press, 2002) 107–117. Elected Most Influential Paper for WCRE 2012.
- Working languages: English (writing and editing), Dutch (translation from Dutch to English)
- Additional languages: reading knowledge of French, some German
Volunteering and community involvement
- Editors Canada: Conference 2016 webmaster, Conference 2011 volunteer
- Editors BC: job hotline coordinator (ongoing), webmaster 2013–2016, professional development co-chair 2011–2013
- Vancouver Writers Fest volunteer, 2012, 2013
- West Coast Editor newsletter, volunteer copy editor and proofreader, 2010–2012
- Kiva microfinance loan funding site, volunteer copy editor, 2009–2013
- West Coast Book Prize Society member, 2013–2014